Re: [SLE] friendly English lesson
  • From: Stanley Long <slong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 02:27:48 -0800
jdd sur free wrote:
Jerry Feldman wrote:

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:04:40 +0200
Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I thought it was zebra, or is that just the armed forces?

There is an international standard for phonetic codes used not only by
the military, but also used in aviation.
A-alpha
D-Delta
Z-Zulu
Here is a web site that contains not only the international aviation,
but some of the other codes.
http://morsecode.scphillips.com/alphabet.html

alpha, bravo, charlie, delta, echo, Fox-trot, golf, hotel, india, juliet, kilo, lima, mike, november, oscar, papa, quebec, romeo, sierra, tango, uniform, victor, wyski, x-ray, yankee, zulu

if I remember... I learnt this by heart when I was 10, after visiting an airport control tower :-) (it was 50 years ago :-)

Before that there was able, baker, charlie dog ...
I learned that from a (then obsolete) US Navy pilot training book of 1940 or '41 vintage that came to us from a used book store. Before airline pilots much flew the oceans, each language used local pronunciation without confusion.
International cooperation required changes.
There were several iterations of changes.

Google found http://www.bckelk.uklinux.net/able.html
and http://montgomery.cas.muohio.edu/meyersde/PhoneticAlphabets.htm
and http://www.faqs.org/faqs/radio/phonetic-alph/full/