Re: [SLE] friendly English lesson
  • From: Stanley Long <slong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 02:27:48 -0800
jdd sur free wrote:
Jerry Feldman wrote:

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:04:40 +0200
Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I thought it was zebra, or is that just the armed forces?

There is an international standard for phonetic codes used not only by
the military, but also used in aviation.
Here is a web site that contains not only the international aviation,
but some of the other codes.

alpha, bravo, charlie, delta, echo, Fox-trot, golf, hotel, india, juliet, kilo, lima, mike, november, oscar, papa, quebec, romeo, sierra, tango, uniform, victor, wyski, x-ray, yankee, zulu

if I remember... I learnt this by heart when I was 10, after visiting an airport control tower :-) (it was 50 years ago :-)

Before that there was able, baker, charlie dog ...
I learned that from a (then obsolete) US Navy pilot training book of 1940 or '41 vintage that came to us from a used book store. Before airline pilots much flew the oceans, each language used local pronunciation without confusion.
International cooperation required changes.
There were several iterations of changes.

Google found