Re: [SLE] Daylight saving time
  • From: Synthetic Cartoonz <synthetoonz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 16:08:45 -0400
On Saturday 17 September 2005 13:49, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Saturday 17 September 2005 19:42, Mike Grello wrote:
> > So, my microwave or VCR will somehow notice the change? The *embedded*
> > (remember embedded) processors in my cities traffic control system, etc.
> > will automatically notice the difference? That is why it is like Y2K;
> > computers aren't the only things that use "computers". Some of those
> > "computers", embedded and hardwired, use Linux. The cost to replace
> > those chips were pretty significant in 2000, now just 7 years later we
> > have to do it again, and *for no reason*.

> Why? What on earth does your city have in its "traffic control system" that
> isn't remote controlled? I can't imagine anything useful in a traffic
> environment that would be totally self sufficient and at the same time
> reliant on having the correct time

Where I live in South Florida -- not exactly a third world country -- the
traffic lights around my place are not on remote control. I'm sure there are
probably others, but the only place I am reasonably certain does have this
feature is Los Angeles.

The traffic lights around here are programmed to change their cyclic patterns
based on day of the week and time of day. During rush hour on weekdays the
lights on streets in certain directions stay green longer than during
non-peak travel hours. On weekends the patterns are different. Starting
late at night when traffic is just a dribble until early in the morning the
light just flash red or yellow.

When there is a big event at the stadium nearby the event security people go
to the control boxes at each street intersection around the stadium and
manually override the light changes using a button on a cable physically
connected to the boxes.

Daylight savings time will change at a date different from what the control
boxes' programming understands. All these control boxes will not properly
estimate peak-traffic times and possibly cause more congestion. All these
light controllers have to be reprogrammed to the new schedule. Again, for
no reason.

Daylight savings time serves no real purpose. If they want to change
something about daylight savings time, they should just eliminate it.

< Previous Next >