Re: [SLE] How to configure manual way a new usb keyboard - Latin american distribution?
  • From: ken <gebser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 16:01:43 -0400
On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:08:53 -0500 (CDT)
Ruben Dario Portillo Torales <rubendarioportillo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have the suse 9. installed in a sun ray server v20z. There is no
> latin american distribution to select. I live in Uruguay. Where can I
> get the rpm or tar or something like that. Thanks a Lot.
>

> Lic. Ruben Dario Portillo Torales
> rubendarioportillo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 241615@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ruben,

I'm running suse 9.3, so the subdirectories and files could be
different-- in fact, they probably are-- but on my Dell laptop under
/usr/share/kbd/keymaps/ is another subdirectory called sun/. Since this
(obviously) isn't a Sun machine yet I have this subdirectory (and have
seen this same subdirectory on other Linux distros going back ten years
or so), I'm pretty sure that you should have this subdirectory also. It
may, however, be located elsewhere on your v.9.

In my /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/sun/ are the following files:

sun-pl-altgraph.map.gz
sun-pl.map.gz
sundvorak.map.gz
sunkeymap.map.gz
sunt4-es.map.gz
sunt4-fi-latin1.map.gz
sunt4-no-latin1.map.gz
sunt5-cz-us.map.gz
sunt5-de-latin1.map.gz
sunt5-es.map.gz
sunt5-fi-latin1.map.gz
sunt5-fr-latin1.map.gz
sunt5-ru.map.gz
sunt5-uk.map.gz
sunt5-us-cz.map.gz

I would think that one of the *-es.map.gz files would work for you. If
neither of these works well enough for you, one of them might be a good
place to start customizing your own keyboard.

If you don't have this .../sun/ subdirectory and can't find any files
like this, try (as root) "find / -name \*.map.gz". That should find
your keyboard configuration files for you. Note that this command will
take some time to run.

Next, after you have found your keyboard configuration file, you need to
tell some init script, or another configuration file, to use it. On
suse 9.3 this is done in /usr/sysconfig/keyboard but, again, 9.0 could
be different. To track this down, read through /etc/rc.d/kbd or
whatever the init script is on your 9.0 machine. You'll need to be a
little literate in reading shell scripts for this. If you need further
help, feel free to get back to me.

Hope this helps,
ken

do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to
live.
-- Bradford Angier

< Previous Next >