Re: [opensuse] Opera banner free
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:33:32 +0200

Carlos J. Muentes wrote:
> I'd like to see Opera left out of 10.0. I personally don't like it
> very much.

What you personally like or dislike is not really a criteria for
inclusion in the distribution.
It's rather whether it's *supported* or not by the SUSE staff.
At least that's currently what's decisive on whether some piece of
software is included into SUSE Linux or not.

Still, you could make your own distribution based on SUSE Linux OSS, and
add what you like and remove what you don't like ;)

Nevertheless, as far as Opera is concerned, the fact that it's ad-free
or not doesn't make a difference.

Shipping it as a package or not, as part of SUSE Linux or of a 3rd party
repository, depends solely on its redistribution license:
http://www.opera.com/distribute/

The license is not clear.. or rather, I couldn't find any information
about it, neither a license. Well, maybe someone should contact them and
ask what the redistribution conditions are:
http://www.opera.com/distribute/

Still, it will never be part of SUSE Linux OSS, unless it's being
released under an OpenSource license (which it is not).
Someone could probably provide it in a 3rd party repository, but
information is needed.

cheers
- --