Re: [opensuse] Creating new packages for OpenSuSE
  • From: Christoph Thiel <cthiel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 19:48:29 +0200 (CEST)
On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Alejandro Forero Cuervo wrote:

> > > We are interested in creating a centralized repository of packaged
> > > software following some guidelines/policies to integrate properly,
> > > right?
> >
> > Yes, I guess we all agree! For now I'd just like to point out one
> > thing: Please drop the idea of one centralized distribution that
> > everyone is trying to get changes / packages in. I know that this
> > sound very strange at first, but it will be fundamental for the future
> > success of openSUSE!
>
> Hmm, I'm not sure I follow you. Why should we drop this idea? And why
> is droping it fundamental for the future success of OpenSUSE?

Robert and Daniel already gave great summaries of why this makes sense -
there isn't much I could add to it right now ;)

> Isn't this, to allow participation from everyone in building SuSE (in,
> among others, the form of changes / packages), the point of OpenSUSE?

Yes, but the idea of distributed / parallel distribution development
contrary to a centralized approach doesn't prevent anyone from
participating. Actually I guess it will rather make a much broader
participance possible!

But again, it will definitely take some time to get there...

Regards
Christoph

< Previous Next >