Re: [opensuse] Overwhelming number of emails
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 22:15:15 -0700
Hi,

On Saturday 23 July 2005 22:00, Lihle wrote:
> Hi
>
> I really do not like to complain, but is there a way I can reduce the
> number of seeminly repeating email. Or can I just receive an email
> that has the problem then a solution instead of every kind of
> unsolicited email. Not knowing where the conversation started makes
> it hard to understand. My next option was to unscribe, which I really
> do not want to do.

This is a high-volume list. There's no way around that, but there is
essentially no spam (if that's what you mean by "unsolicited") getting
through the mailing list server.

If you use a mailer that understands threads and you enable that
feature, the list will be much more comprehensible. I believe all the
common Linux-based mailers support threads. Under Windows, Eudora and
the Mozilla mailers (Mozilla Mail and Thunderbird) support threads, but
notably (I'd say notoriously) Outlook and Outlook Express do not, to
the eternal frustration of anyone who must participate in mail dialogs
that include such users...

Beyond that, there's no software that will alter the submissions created
by the list's users. I'll grant you quoting is far too liberal here,
but unless the list participants themselves enforce a more conservative
quoting regimen, then individual posts will continue to be highly
redundant within a given topic thread.

> I am still using windows because I do not know how to setup my SuSE
> 9.1 to connect to the internet. I need a step by guide please. I
> attempted with my motoroal internal modem but when prompted to set up
> my mail accounts I got confused. I have started reading unix books
> with the hope to understanding better.

Whatever information you used to set up these accounts under Windows is
essentially the same you'll use to set up Linux counterparts.

You mention SuSE Linux 9.1 Professional. This list is for people
participating in the pre-release testing for SuSE Linux 10.0. That
fundamentally alters the nature of the exchange here. Perhaps you
should subscribe to SuSE-Linux-E. But keep in mind the volume there is
comparable to that seen on this list.

> Which programming language does Linux use for creating applications?
> I noticed that the openCD has C and C++ header files, a compiler for
> C and C++. The question is can it also have the java compiler and
> create applications in java?

Linux programming can be done in C, C++, Fortran, Lisp, Scheme, C#,
Java, Perl, Python, Ruby, awk, TCL/Tk, shell (various) and more. As far
as Java goes, the Sun, Gnu and IBM compilers are all available.

> Best regards,
> Thembelihle Tshabalala

Good luck.

Randall Schulz