Re: [opensuse] Packages from a user and Packager perspective
  • From: Marco Maske <maskemarco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 16:15:19 +0200
Pascal Bleser wrote:

> Quality is definately the most important aspect, much more important
> than quantity. And to me, quality is:
> - having dedicated maintainers that update their packages when new
> releases come out, when bugfixes are needed
> - having experienced packagers, who know their distro, who know how to
> integrate it well into SUSE - having clearly defined policies and style
> guides

Yep, I agree 100%.

I think a group like Packman, where the quality is perfect since years and
packagers who I know, (all of them are well known if you worked with SuSE
for a while ;-) is a good way.
I can trust them, add their install source to Yast and import their key to
my RPM-database.
Same with some suser on:
http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-*/

This smaller groups can easier managed, look for Quality, licences and so
on. I think their is no a need for one big SuSE/openSUSE RPM Pakager
Group.
.. But for a global one SuSE/openSUSE RPM www archive, database

It's easier to make one point in www for this. All small Packager groups
around the world can have a base here. The user can chose what he want
and then add their installsources in Yast.
There can be one database for all packages from all packager groups with a
uservoting like on http://www.kde-apps.org/

--
Ciao Marco, registered GNU/Linux-User 313353