RE: [SLE] Novell Plans to Open SuSE Linux Pro to Community
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <sue-linux-e@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 20:18:40 -0800
On Wednesday, August 03, 2005 @ 10:51 Am, Janne Karhunen wrote:

>On Wednesday 03 August 2005 21:06, Sandy Drobic wrote:

>> What this means they want to concentrate their effort and manpower on
>> the more lucrative Enterprise Edition.

>Sure, one way or the other we've all seen this happen already.
>Overall quality & testing done for 9.2 and 9.3 took similar
>steps backwards than RH did with 8 and 9. Focus was already
>moved elsewhere.

>> The community version will be
>> aimed at Linux enthusiasts, not at the casual user at home who wants a
>> Windows that has the name Linux. In short they have given up the idea of
>> selling Linux as a replacement for users of Windows.

>Yep, and due to overall quality drop it's now impossible to
>recommend SUSE (pro) to people that just want to get the job
>done. It's a development release as such, bad things can and
>do happen with it.

>On the positive side, let's hope that we can work things out
>via the ( yet undefined ) community effort. SUSE folks, your
>call.

>--
>// Janne

Yeah, it sounds like it's going to be much like what it is today. Cutting
(some might say bleeding) edge technology. If you just want the download,
go ahead. If you want CD's, pay a little more, except now there's the "paid
technical support" option with the CD's. By "paid technical support", it
sounds like it will be extra(?). If so, it could be "pay per incident" or
"pay for a fixed period of time". Windows offers "pay per incident". I
have an annual support contract with Oracle. I think the best type for an
individual depends on how often they need help. I've gotten better support
from Oracle than Microsoft, but that isn't by much. Then again, I'm paying
for "Personal Addition" support for Oracle, which is the cheapest license
you can get, so I don't imagine I'm getting the ace support man when I send
in my support requests.
On the development side, based on my interpretation of the article, it
will be a participatory effort now instead of all being done in-house.
To me, it would seem that you'd get better results with this newer model.
You'd still have your own top people in the middle and you'd be getting lots
of new ideas from the people participating in the development effort. But
I've never worked with software that was supported under this model, so I
have nothing to base this on.

Greg Wallace