Re: [SLE] Damnit - We're There! My $.02 [crosspost mdk-suse]
  • From: "Fred A. Miller" <fmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 01:03:11 -0400
On Sunday 07 August 2005 2:19 am, david rankin wrote:

[snip]

>     Unfortunately, we still require crippleware to run QuickBooks --- try

I just heard on Sunday from Intuit, asking me to beta their new version. I
refused, ONCE AGAIN telling them that until they got a clue and ported to
Linux, I wasn't interested. I KNOW that in the past, MickySoft HAS put
presure on them to NOT port to Linux. I assume that is still the case.

> handing your accountant an GNUcash file -- (LOL). And... unfortunately,
> when I go to trial, I still run crippleware. There are no viable
> substitutes for Summation, Trial Director, Visionary, power(less) point,
> and other trail tools. (does anybody hear OPPORTUNITY HERE??)  (Summation
> gets $1900.00 per copy >= $5k for a 5 node license) OO is not yet a
> contender. (really simple stuff, database to collect transcript notes and
> issues, ability to search, sync and present transcript text and video,
> image-slideshows, etc..) The same shortfalls appear in Linux CAD software.
> Someone needs to contact AutoDesk or develop a similar CAD program with
> topo capability for land development applications, etc. But (sticking to
> the subject) -- damnit we're close...

Yes we are. All you really need are proper templates for OO. Why don't you
write them? ;)

>     That's it though -- think about the other 99% of the business
> application handling Linux can do. When I, as an attorney and engineer, can
> utilize Linux for 95% of what I need to do, securely and with confidence,
> from servers to the desktop, the open source vision is almost complete! My
> servers have been exclusively Linux since 2000. The core server apps are
> bulletproof and it has only gotten better. The desktop has made huge leaps
> in the last 18 months. So much so that people now believe that GUI config
> tools are the way to configure a Linux box -- go figure...  ( so much for #
> vi /etc/sysconfig/network...)

It's easier and faster, and you don't have to put up with vi. What's not to
lie?!

>     All in all, if a weird lawyer can sit back and objectively say, "I see
> little or no barriers between transitioning between mickeysoft and Linux
> for what I do" (subject to the exceptions above), it says -- we have come a
> long way!

We have a very narrow window of opportunity before Vista is released. SUSE
MUST capitalize on that. However, to do so they need the applications. It's a
catch 22 now matter how you cut it.

>     On both sides of the fence -- keep up the great work! I can't wait for
> SuSE 10.0 and mdk 2006 (or whatever the new name may be..)

'Couldn't care less about MDK or whatever..........just SUSE.

Fred

to you, at this time.