Re: [SLE] Knoppix test results
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:42:06 -0400
Gil, check out
ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu/pub/mirrors/knoppix/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt. You
need not be stuck at 1024x768, but to easily get higher you need to
force the issue during boot.

Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * Gil Weber <gil@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [08-09-05 16:26]:

> > Ah, questions, questions, questions. The poor boy is so confused. :o)

> Yes, confused, but not considering the steps you used earlier and
> failed. Consider looking at knoppix video config files (xorg...) and
> comparing them to the suse files. Look for the differences and
> educate yourself instead of throwing up your hands in despair.

Knoppix 3.4 uses a 2.4 kernel and XFree86. Knoppix is very highly
optimized for speed to compensate for running off a CD. However, Knoppix
happily running proves Gil's complaints about slowness are obviously
valid, & so we just need to home in on solution(s) now that we know
Linux can be fast on his hardware.

Does 9.3 have a 2.4 kernel option he could try? Is his install an
upgrade from something that used to have devfs instead of udev? What
video driver is SuSE actually using? What driver is Knoppix using?

Next ought to be trying Knoppix 3.9 (or whatever is current) with a
kernel similar to SuSE, which I think also uses xorg. 3.4 is pretty old.

> Both are linux systems and both are very similiar. Consider using the
> knoppix video configuration in the suse setup.

You may be discouraged trying that. Knoppix is a Debian. I've never yet
figured out how they do so differently than SuSE that I can't get
anything to change by editing the X config file and restarting X. Always
it has a lower DPI than I want forced, and it doesn't accept change
resolution options either.

> REMEMBER to keep
> original copies so you can find your way back.

Absolutely.
--
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
Matthew 6:27 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/