Re: [SLE] How to stop Display turning off
  • From: Kenneth Payne <kmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:57:16 +0100
On Sunday 21 August 2005 20:20, Darryl Gregorash wrote:

> There is one other place that is involved in turning the screen off, and
> it bugged me greatly until I started digging everywhere. I use a blank
> screensaver by preference, with a 30 minute setting. I was still getting
> screen off after 10.
>
> Turning off ACPI in the BIOS didn't work (Linux seems to be famous for
> ignoring BIOS settings and using system capabilities instead -- which is
> nice if you must fool the BIOS because of some bug, not necessarily nice
> always).
>
> KDE by default uses DPMS, and that setting is nowhere near the one for
> the screensaver. Open KControl, click on Peripherals/Display, then
> select the "Power control" tab. There you can deselect power management,
> or if you choose to use it, configure separate timings for standby,
> suspend and power off. The defaults are 10, 20 and 30 minutes,
> respectively, which is where your 10 minute interval is coming from.
>
> Arun Khan also suggested running "xset -dpms" which does the same thing.
> The xset command is probably worth looking at, because it performs a lot
> of tasks that KDE has scattered all over the place (and that is annoying
> to say the least).

Darryl -

I'm sure your analysis of the problem is correct. When I reset my screen saver
I also disabled power management at the same time and then my problem
disappeared.

Now I'm not actually as stupid as I seem. I *had* previously gone to power
management and disabled it. It didn't correct the problem. Then I enabled
power management but set all the settings to "disabled" in the hope that
might work better. It didn't. This was how it was when I reset the screen
saver - so I tried disabling power management globally again at the same
time. One or the other worked. I think you're right and it was power
management to blame, but I'm sure it didn't work correctly first time for me.

Thanks for your interest and help - and thanks to all the other people who
gave suggestions.

Best wishes to you all.

- Ken

< Previous Next >