Re: [SLE] DVD backup
  • From: Sunny <sloncho@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:44:47 -0500
On 8/24/05, Simon Roberts <thorpflyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to back up a DVD and change the region code in the process.
>
> I can dump the stream using mplayer, but I'm not sure what format I
> should dump it in (raw, vob, something else?). More importantly, I
> don't know what tool(s) I should use to burn the output DVD. K3b looks
> like it has something that might burn a DVD, but it looks like it's
> offering to burn a data DVD, not a video.
>
> Which man pages should I be looking at? Any more detailed suggestions?
>
> TIA
> Simon

Hi,
first, be aware, that backup of a copirighted DVD may be illegal in
some countries :)

Anyway, to backup a DVD to your hard drive, removing the protection
and the region code, you need to install:
libdvdread - from packman's site
liddvdcss - from videolan site

you also nee dvdbackup (google).

if above libs are present, dvdbackup can backup the whole dvd, or only
a givven title/chapter.

The problem comes, when you need to burn it. Most of the movie DVD's
are 9 GB, which does not fit on a regular DVD+/-R (4.2 GB). Of course,
you can use dual layer media and burner, bur still the media is
expensive (4$ and more).

You can google for a script, named dvd9to5, which uses transcode
(tcrequant) to downgrade a little bit of the quality, so you can fit
the main movie on a single layer media. The problem with this approach
is, that you are loosing the menus and special features. Anyway, if
you just want to backup a move, so you can throw it to kids and don't
care if they are going to damage the media, this is enough.

Cheers
Sunny
--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)