Re: [SLE] DVD backup
  • From: Richard Atcheson <ratcheson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 22:39:00 -0500
On Wednesday 24 August 2005 09:44 pm, Simon Roberts wrote:
> Thanks to all for the suggestions so far. mplayer fetches the vob
> (seemingly unconcerned about the region coding... Is it silently using
> up the five changes on my dvd drive?) and mencoder seems like it'll be
> able to create a smaller vob--when I finally work out what options I
> should be using!
>
> But my remaining problem is that I can't see how to get a vob burned
> onto a DVD disk so that it becomes a real DVD disk. K3B seems to burn
> ISO images not from vob.
>
> What should I look up for this part of the process?

Simon, I just went through what you are doing. Let me tell you my solution,
lxdvdrip! what a neat idea. After going through all the machinations to
install all the required programs, I now put the dvd in the reader, type
lxdvdrip on the command line, play with mommie, then burn a perfect dvd with
K3b. It's that easy!

I have found a few dvds that I havent been able to copy but most are easy.
One more caveat, dont use cheap dvd media! I have a bunch of new printable
no-name dvds that make a decent copy for about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way then go
nuts. The better media works fine burning the same iso.

You can start by looking here:

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/lxdvdrip/

Regards,
Richard