Re: [opensuse] mp3 support
  • From: Víctor Fernández Martínez <vfernandez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 12:05:31 +0200
El Viernes, 19 de Agosto de 2005 04:14, Shriramana Sharma escribió:
> On 8/19/05, Víctor Fernández Martínez <vfernandez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I also assume if someone decides to make his own distro based on openSUSE
> > (or perhaps a customization of it) and it's only going to be deployed in
> > Europe or other countries MP3 is not patented, there will be no problem
> > to add out-of-the-box support for it.
>
> Well, you got me interested here. Just the past couple of days I was
> thinking of making a smaller download of SUSE 10 by removing GNOME (I
> never use it) and a lot of other packages - targeting the very very
> basic kind of home user who only want to use a computer to do
> wordprocessing and browse the net and maybe listen to a few songs.
> Another issue are the localization packs for OOo. We here in India
> will use hardly nothing beyond the English (and maybe Indian localized
> versions - the few that are there) of OOo.
>
> So now the question is: how do I find out whether mp3 is patented in India?

AFAIK the indian government tried to change the law to accept software patents
but finally they got a lot of ressistance and they didn't accomplish it. So
there are no software patents in India and you can add support for mp3 if you
make your mini-SUSE.

BTW, a part from the way I mentioned in the "Merging the 4 Setup CDs into one
DVD", you may remove *Gnome*.sel in suse/setup/descr inside the CD. Then edit
"selections" in that directory and remove the lines containing anything
related to Gnome. That way Gnome won't appear in YaST anymore. Now when you
remove more packages remember to search for them in the different selection
files and remove them from there. You may use KFind to do that selecting the
proper path and typing the package name in the Contents tab.

--
Víctor Fernández Martínez
Gabinete de prensa de PoLinux [www.polinux.upv.es]. Usuario de Linux