Re: [opensuse] Compiling from source
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 18:19:56 +0200
"Andreas Girardet" <agirardet@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> In general however I wonder why on the same system Yoper or Gentoo
> just feels that much faster than SuSE or certainly much faster than
> RedHat? It certainly is a very subjective "feeling" but one that is
> confirmed by many others. Also people switching to NLD from Windows
> within Novell notice the speedloss that comes with it. They say NLD is
> just that much slower than Windows. One of the reasons I decided to do
> Yoper in first place was to make a Desktop just as snappy as windows as
> it just is not the case on a normal setup. Maybe the Con Kolivas patches
> and prelinking speed things up enough to get by.

Prelinking is supported by SUSE Linux and I would give it a try.

What are the Con Kolivas patches? Can you post a URL?

> Just wondering from experience with thousands of people's feedback, why
> if it is true what you say,many people claim that some distro's are
> faster than others?
>
> Maybe I should just bag this effort and concentrate on adding
> additional packages and debugging..... but I am not totally convinced
> yet ;) and I do miss that snappiness that I was used to for all those
> years I ran my own compiled Linux. Maybe you can shed some more
> technical detail as I do lack the knowledge to fully understand the
> issues. Am not a programmer after all.

One think is that features slowdown the system. We need to have an
universal system that does everything - and therefore is overdesigned
for a lot of cases.

If anybody comes up with some great ideas on how to improve
performance, let's test those and integrate them where possible,

Andreas
--
Andreas Jaeger, aj@xxxxxxx, http://www.suse.de/~aj
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany