Re: [opensuse] OOT: how's suse (novell) generate revenue
  • From: Adrian Schroeter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:24:34 +0200
On Friday 12 August 2005 14:07, Shriramana Sharma wrote:
> Marcus Meissner wrote:
> > 10.0 will be in both versions. A retail box (SUSE Linux 10.0) and
> > the OSS version (openSUSE 10.0).
>
> Is there really going be such a name in nomenclature? I mean, will I get
> my bootup/GRUB/splashscreens saying openSUSE?

no, openSUSE is the project which creates SUSE Linux. It is not an own
distribution.

> > SUSE Linux 10.0 will have the shiny box and handbooks and the non-OSS
> > packages (and perhaps more benefits I do not know right now).
>
> non-OSS packages means stuff like Java or stuff like something Novell
> has created themselves closed-source?

yes. Not that I do know any closed-source component from Novell which will be
part of it, but theoretical yes.

> > In the future, both openSUSE and SUSE Linux will diverge more, once
> > we get to Stage2 or Stage3 of the openSUSE project.

This is a bit wrong. SUSE Linux will be the base for every Linux based product
which cames from the openSUSE project. The commercial products will have more
or less additional packages and more or less additional testing.

> I thought that the thing Novell will be marketing is the Enterprise
> Server, and has released the
>
> Maybe I'm extending the Red Hat - Fedora model too much in a way that
> Novell didn't intend for SuSE [if so I'd like to be informed! :)] but:
>
> The product that was once a single Red Hat got divided into two:
>
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux which is a closed project, tested and developed
> by Red Hat employees (and official betas) for 18 months before release.
> It's not available freely for download to the public but is still under
> the GPL insofar as the source code is technically "available" (to those
> who pay Red Hat money for the sustenance of their employees).
>
> Fedora is an open project, tested and developed by the public and
> released every so often. It's available freely for download to the
> public, both the source and the binary. Nobody needs to pay anybody.

As it is (or will) be with openSUSE.

> Some stuff I learnt at http://www.redhat.com/software/rhelorfedora/.
>
> But one more important difference I thought I understood is that:
>
> RHEL can include proprietary stuff like Java etc, since Red Hat can
> formally license them from their makers like Sun etc. And Fedora cannot
> include such things, since Fedora is public, and who'll pay Sun for the
> license? At least, I'm told this is the way it is with Debian which is a
> totally open project. I think Fedora might have Java, though I'm not sure.
>
> But returning to Novell's SuSE and openSUSE, I'm a bit confused:
>
> Novell provides something called
>
> 1. SuSE Linux Enterprise Server
> 2. SuSE Linux Professional
> 3. Novell Linux Desktop
>
> And now to that openSUSE is added. AFAI understand openSUSE is an
> offshoot of [2] SuSE Linux Professional. Is Novell still going to
> *separately* develop SuSE Linux Professional? (Red Hat does not develop
> anything other than RHEL, AFAIK.)

No, openSUSE does create SUSE Linux (Professional). There will different
editions from it (and most likely not only two, since we do also special
versions for magazines and so on), but the base will be the same.

bye
adrian

--

Adrian Schroeter
SuSE AG, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nuernberg, Germany