Re: [SLE] TCP Printer not working in Suse 9.3
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 11:50:25 -0400
On Sunday 03 July 2005 10:32 pm, Art Fore wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-07-03 at 19:19 -0700, Art Fore wrote:

> > > Yep. He was trying to use port 9100 which is what HP uses for the
> > > JetDirect. No wonder it does not work.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ken Schneider
> > > UNIX since 1989, linux since 1994, SuSE since 1998
> > >
> > > "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably
> > > the day they start making vacuum cleaners." -Ernst Jan Plugge
> >
> > There has been no change on this print server for two years and was was
> > working with suse 8.0, 8.1, 9.0, 9.1, & 9.2 always setting it up with
> > yast other than changing the printer from laserjet III to laserjet 2300
> > about a year ago (suse 9.2) when the laserjet III finally died. So, how
> > do I get it to not think it is the parallel port? Just change printer
> > drivers until I find one that work?
> >
> > Art
>
> Just tried the hp2200 driver which is the one I was using in Suse 9.2.
> Same Identical results. What was the big change from 9.2 to 9.3 in this
> area?

I don't think there was a major change.... I think you just haven't set it
up properly.

From what you say, that Netgear print server should look exactly like an HP LJ
printer using port 9100.

I have a network HP4000 printer here and it was set up during initial install
to use port 9100. Worked fine and has with SUSE since I bought it 6 years
ago.

Could you send us the contents of:

/etc/cups/printcap

and