Re: [SLE] Damn Fam!
  • From: Scott Leighton <helphand@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 22:17:01 -0700
On Monday 18 July 2005 9:56 pm, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Scott,
>
> On Monday 18 July 2005 19:30, Scott Leighton wrote:
> > On Monday 18 July 2005 7:59 am, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > From time to time with no pattern I can discern, I'll find an
> > > instance of "fam" running consuming as much CPU as it can get. It
> > > bears my UID but can only be killed by root.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know why this happens and / or how to prevent it?
> >
> > Are you running beagle? I seem to remember that beagle
> > uses fam to detect changes that it needs to index.
>
> No. Both beagle and Kat are classified "not ready for prime time" for
> me.

Oh well, it was just a thought. A little googling reveals that you are not
the only one with this symptom.... I noted several comments regarding this
happening when moving large files, or working with mounted remote file
systems without portmap running. Google groups had some interesting
posts, use search term 'linux fam 100% cpu'

Scott

--
POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier http://popfile.sourceforge.net/
Linux 2.6.11.4-21.7-default x86_64