Identity usurpation in suse lists
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 13:01:37 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

We have a big problem in the Spanish SuSE list.

There is a poster, probably certified mad (Tourette syndrome), that has
taken to insult people as he pleases. But the worst is that he is emailing
with the from address replaced by any other person of the list (me, for
example), confusing the innocent people that are not aware of this. I'm
talking about 50 messages of this kind per day, more than the normal
traffic.

The list administrator does not answer us. Novell (contacted directly) is
doing nothing. SuSE does nothing. Who can do something?

I wonder if they would do something if this person posted as
"support@novell"?

We need a list with login/password. Or a news forum, as Novell implements
in parallel to lists (support-forums.novell.com), but with autentification
procedure. Whatever.

Meanwhile, many worthy people (clients) have quited the list. Some have
gone to alternative lists in private servers put up by some posters, and
dispersing listers. Even suse support in Spain is ashamed to forward
people to suse-linux-s when the free support does not cover the problem of
the client!

It is not a joke.

I write here in the hope that people that can do something in SuSE/Novell,
are told, publicly, of what is happening. They are responsible, as the
company hosting a server that is hosting insults - at least with our laws.
At least, they can remove the insults from the archives, and take
technical measures to impede further damage.

Sorry to bother this list. I hope you don't ever have to suffer what we
suffer.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson