Re: [SLE] Identity usurpation in suse lists
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 13:39:51 +0200 (CEST)

The Sunday 2005-06-05 at 19:46 +1000, scsijon wrote:

> We, at the very least, give Carlos and through him the spanish list our
> sympathy.

Thanks.

> Hopefully Andreas can help.

I hope so, but it is already too late.

Yesterday two people left the list. Today another one, informing that he
quited SuSE for another distro as well. This issue is costing SuSE Novell
clients.

This is very serious. :-|

Can you imagine what may think a new user referred to the list for help
directly from customer help desk? You know that when a client requests the
"Free Installation Support" from SuSE, often they have to tell him(she)
that it is not covered because (whatever), but they are referred instead to
the list, for whatever help we may give. As they are Spanish speaking
people (and we are a lot) they go to suse-linux-s... to found that the
list has more than 50 insulting emails per 5..10 real ones, per day.

It is not only insults, but this person posing as any known user (me, for
instance, but he prefers southamericans) insulting any other user. Old
users know what it is about, new ones do not.

What do you think they think of SuSE?

What do you think this may cost in marketing terms, to the "good name" of
Novell/SuSE? In clients shunning SuSE altogether?

So far the only contact we have in the list from Novell Spain has been
understanding, and tried to be helpful; but they got no response from
higher up yet.

Thus, we need SuSE/Novell acting fast. We need insulting emails be removed
from the archives, for starters. We need some method of authentication
for each mail sent to the list, before it is distributed - nothing less!

Just think what would SuSE Novell think if someone faked emails in the
name of SuSE, insulting clients. Would they care then?

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson