Re: [SLE] New kernel and nVidia
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 04:06:15 +0200
On Monday 13 June 2005 03:34, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Sunday 2005-06-12 at 02:43 +0200, Anders Johansson wrote:
> > > 1) Edit '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'. Change line
> > >
> > > Driver "nv"
> > >
> > > for
> > >
> > > Driver "nvidia"
> > >
> > > (I use customized device sections instead). Reboot. The new kernel
> > > will be active, but X will use the open driver, without 3D.
> >
> > There is no need for this, or for running sax2 with cryptic parameters,
> > if the nvidia driver was installed and working with the old kernel. Just
> > go to runlevel 3, make sure the kernel sources are installed and
> > prepared,
>
> For doing that, I like to have the new kernel already running (or make
> cloneconfig will fail). And to have the new kernel running, either I boot
> into runlevel 3 (as nvidia module is not yet installed), or use module nv
> instead for a while - and that "while" make last for a week or two till I
> find a real need to have 3D again.
>
> And... there is nothing cryptic about a 4 letter change. It's just a
> precaution, a safeguard.

The "cryptic" bit referred to the sax2 parameter, not the config file change.

And it's fair enough that you do it because you're not actually interested in
running the accelerated driver, but then you really shouldn't include it as
item 1 in a "how to install the nvidia driver". It makes beginners think it's
something they have to do, instead of just something you choose to do

< Previous Next >