RE: [SLE] Using Samba
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <jgregw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 03:25:28 -0800
On Sunday, June 12, 2005 @ 7:08 PM, Jerome Lyles wrote:

>I'm trying to use Samba to transfer some pictures on my local network from
>one
>of my Linux machines to my windows XP one. I set up the Samba Server using

>Yast. The output from 'testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf' is good. My Global
>parameters are:

>[global]
> workgroup = MYHOME
> netbios name = MYSAMBASERVER
> map to guest = Bad User
> username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
> printcap cache time = 750
> printcap name = cups
> add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -c Machine -d
>/var/lib/nobody
>-s

>When I run smbclient to list my shares I get this:

># smbclient -L Linux
>Error connecting to 127.0.0.2 (Connection refused)
>Connection to Linux failed

>I get this as root and my normal self on the same machine the server is on.
>I turned the firewall off.

>My /etc/samba/smbusers file:

># This file allows you to map usernames from the clients to the server.
># Unix_name = SMB_name1 SMB_name2 ...
>#
># See section 'username map' in the manual page of smb.conf for more
># information.

>root = administrator
>;nobody = guest pcguest smbguest

>Any ideas why my connection is being refused? Also, anyone know how to
>access
>this samba share from the windows side?

>Thanks,
>Jerome

I share a linux directory with my Windows machine. Try adding --

wins support = yes
security = share

to your [global] section.

Also, I have the following for my "share" (I called it Shareddocs just to
have it stick out as a Windows share). I'm forcing the user to the Linux
built-in nobody group.

[SharedDocs]
path = /etc/samba/smbusers
guest ok = yes
guest account = nobody
force group = MYHOME

Also, be sure the nobody user is set up as a member of the MYHOME group on
your Linux machine. Whatever privileges you give it, that's what you'll be
able to do from your Windows machine. Also, your Windows machine has to be
using the MYHOME workgroup, which I assume it does.

Greg Wallace