Re: [SLE] Using Samba
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:56:03 +0100
On 13/06/05, Susemail <susemail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Monday 13 June 2005 03:23, Kevanf1 wrote:

> > > I share a linux directory with my Windows machine. Try adding --
> > >
> > > wins support = yes
> > > security = share
> > >
> > > to your [global] section.
> > >
> > > Also, I have the following for my "share" (I called it Shareddocs just to
> > > have it stick out as a Windows share). I'm forcing the user to the Linux
> > > built-in nobody group.
> > >
> > > [SharedDocs]
> > > path = /etc/samba/smbusers
> > > guest ok = yes
> > > guest account = nobody
> > > force group = MYHOME
> > >
> > > Also, be sure the nobody user is set up as a member of the MYHOME group
> > > on your Linux machine. Whatever privileges you give it, that's what
> > > you'll be able to do from your Windows machine. Also, your Windows
> > > machine has to be using the MYHOME workgroup, which I assume it does.
> > >
> > > Greg Wallace
>
> I will check things out when I get home. Thanks.
> >
> > Is that IP address a valid internal one? Could that be the cause of
> > the problem?
> >
> > --
>
> How do I tell if it's a valid one? I know 127.0.0.1 is valid:
>
> lo Link encap:Local Loopback
> inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
> inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
> UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
> RX bytes:2750512 (2.6 Mb) TX bytes:2750512 (2.6 Mb)
>
> Jerome

There are specific sets of IP addresses that are generally reserved
for home networking. Now I'm on shaky ground here so I'm sure others
more knowledgeable will prop me up (please :-))) I think that there
are three classes of internal (home in this case) network IP
addresses. I think you ought to be looking at having 192.168.0.1 as
eth0 on your first PC. Then after that 192.168.0.2 for the next one
and so on with 0.3 and 0.4 etc I think you can have up to 256 machines
connected like this. This is a PC via switch to PC network not via
server. I have mine set up this way and it works. The 192 is the
internal IP start number if you like. This would use a subnet mask of
255.255.255.0

Feel free to point me in the right direction if I'm wrong.

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street