SUSE 9.3 - /dev/lp0 not working
Folks,

I'm having trouble getting the parallel port working with SUSE 9.3 (for
a HP LaserJet 4L printer). I've tried the available settings in my
BIOS.

This is on a Sony GR290 laptop, in a triple boot with RHEL 4 WS and
Windows XP.

Printing through the parallel port works fine under Windows XP and Red
Hat Enterprise Linux 4 WS.

A lsmod reveals

parport_pc 38212 0
parport 33864 1 parport_pc

Yup, lp is missing. I try a

modprobe lp

which temporarily gets lp in the lsmod list, with

lp 11076 0
parport_pc 38212 0
parport 33864 2 lp,parport_pc

But it disappears when I try the YaST installer.

For some reason, the CUPS interface isn't working as expected; the
root / root password doesn't seem to get into the associated
admnistrative interface. Perhaps a hint here could help too.

Thanks,
Mike