Re: [SLE] Using Samba
  • From: Susemail <susemail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 15:02:04 -1000
On Monday 13 June 2005 01:25, Greg Wallace wrote:
> I share a linux directory with my Windows machine.  Try adding --
>
> wins support = yes
> security = share
>
> to your [global] section.
>
> Also, I have the following for my "share" (I called it Shareddocs just to
> have it stick out as a Windows share).  I'm forcing the user to the Linux
> built-in nobody group.
>
> [SharedDocs]
>   path = /etc/samba/smbusers
>   guest ok = yes
>   guest account = nobody
>   force group = MYHOME
>
> Also, be sure the nobody user is set up as a member of the MYHOME group on
> your Linux machine.  Whatever privileges you give it, that's what you'll be
> able to do from your Windows machine.  Also, your Windows machine has to be
> using the MYHOME workgroup, which I assume it does.
>
> Greg Wallace

Greg,

I added 'wins support = yes' and 'security = share' as you suggested and now
all the default shares set up by Yast can be seen in 'My Network Places'.

The problem is when I enter the User name and password in the login window
Windows prepends the name of my Windows machine to my User name like this:

MYVIAO/MyUserName

and reopens the login window. Windows does give a hint:

Example:
User Name
username@domain
DOMAIN\username

How do I interpet this? I tried myusername@Linux\myusername and
myusername@LinuxLINUX\myusername . Nothing is prepended but hitting enter
reopens the login window.

I also have a question about adding a share the way you suggested above. Do I
create a folder called SharedDoc somewhere to hold the information I want to
share?

Thanks,
Jerome