Re: [SLE] Problems installing VMWare
  • From: Dave Barton <bmcs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:43:54 +1000
On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 23:09 -0500, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
8<-- snip -->8
> > I am probably asking the obvious, but have you gone all the way through
> > the "Create New Virtual Machine" wizard? The option for a real (Oops
> > raw) disk/partition appears as one of the last steps of a "Custom" VM.
> >

> Yes, the problem is with the boot.
>
> > Are you:
> > (a) trying to set up a VM for an existing W2K partition (ie. a dual boot
> > machine)?
> > or
> > (b) trying to create a VM to install W2K on an existing disk/partition?
> >
> > If your considering (a) I would advise against it. From first hand
> > experience, you are very likely to screw up the existing W2K install and
> > grub will certainly puke (don't know about lilo).
> >

> a)
>
> I am using GRUB and it does puke. I see "GRUB" on a text screen and
> nothing more happens. I have done this with previous versions of
> VMware and SuSE, but I may have been using LILO then.
>
> > (b) is a possibility, but create the partition for your VM, before you
> > start the New VM wizard.
> >
> > HTH
> > Dave
> >

> I have just one day left on the eval license and am trying to find out
> if it will work. It works fine with a virtual disk. So far at least.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeffrey

I had an idea that's what you were trying to do. I've been there, with
more disastrous results. I recall hearing of others who have succeeded
in doing this, but I don't remember if anyone got it to work with V5.

You might try the Vmware newsgroups news.vmware.com If you post there,
give them a _full_ explanation of what you are trying to do. You will
probably get replies such as "Oh no, don't try that", but there are some
guys there who really seem to understand the inner workings of Vmware.
You might want to give Vmware tech support a shot. I have always found
them to be very helpful, but then again I am a licenced user.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Dave

< Previous Next >