Re: [SLE] Is sound management ready for the 'Linux Desktop'?
  • From: Peter Nikolic <p.nikolic1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:03:45 +0100
On Wednesday 29 June 2005 20:18, Colin Murphy wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 June 2005 09:05, Peter Nikolic wrote:
> > Errrrrr Kmix does have a slider for digital it is labeled PCM i use
> > Kmix only and have no problems with skype apart from the odd howl cause
> > i cant stand headphones but even that is rare these days ,
>
> Errrrr, I don't doubt for one second that on your system KMix does as you
> say, it doesn't on mine. This only adds to the point I'm making about the
> sound systems in a Linux distribution.

Doubt on i know how this box works you must have a strange sound card
maybe a built in jobby

> PCM does appear in all of the mixer programmes I've tried, but it doesn't
> help. In alsamixer I also have a PCM slider along with two other other
> sliders both labeled 'digital', only one of which does the trick. Why I
> need a 'digital' slider is a mystery, these are analogue headphones. The
> 'digital' slider does appear in some of the KDE mixer programmes but they
> don't seem to work from their. Only moving the slider in alsamixer works.
>
> I also have large number of other sliders that 'seem' to do nothing, but
> who can say???? Sliders with names like IEC958 and ADC
>
> > Theese settings are for Kmix and have worked ever since i first got skype
> > (quite a while ago now )
>
> But do you need to reset the slider positions everytime you reboot? I
> would still like to hear how I can set these from command line.

No never needed to reset anything .. if you get it working and then need to
reboot for some reason do not shut the mixer down just close KDE with the
mixer open it then comes back in the same state you left it in ...

> > I have found that most of the sound features seem to work well capture
> > from most sources works well apart from i have not tried some of the
> > more exotic digital formats aint got the gear aint likley to buy it
> > either too expensive for me . The one thing i still cant work out is
> > capturing video from DVD to disc . Oh and streaming audio i cant capture
> > but have no tried recently and that is most likely just me doing
> > something butt about face
>
> Maybe I am just expecting too much from my computer. I have been able to
> do some 'capture stuff - if that's the right word', like recording from a
> tape machine Line Out to Sound Card Line In, but only after an evenings
> worth of configuration.
>
> > I have found recently that i have no problem with aRTS and the default
> > KDE 3.4 settings work well i know some people say different but this may
> > be with shall we say some more highly strung sound cards i use and a
> > "Sound Blaster Live" (emu10k1) chip i have also used an Sound Blaster
> > PCI64 that caused a bit if hassle but it worked as well mic PCM setting
> > was as touchey as you like plus some look at it and howl or no audio
>
> I suppose this would be the thread where I should now ask about which sound
> cards have the best support. I have something that is reported to be a
> Yamaha DS-XG using the YMF744 drivers. It's about 3 years old, but then, so
> is the machine I'm using it in. I bought this card because it had an
> optical output for a connection to my Minidisc recorder, never really got
> that to work either.

I have a machine using the YMF774 drivers an old intel box that always worked
well for sound output but was always a bit Hummmmm for capture the sound
blaster live seems to work well may not top of the heap for quality but good
enough BTW i also use the machine as a juke box for parties on the same
sound card and never get complaints (average age around 45 no raves just
headbangers) ..

> Since I use KDE I assume that I must also be using aRTs, but I also have
> ALSA installed. Is this correct, do the work together 'nicely'? I really
> would appreciate a basic understanding of the two of them and their
> relationship to each other.
>
> A more specific question. I make use of multiple user logins, the one
> machine has to meet the needs of several. What can I expect from the sound
> side of things when a machine is being used like this. What I would like
> to happen is for the sound output (and input) to be halted for the first
> user when a second user logs in and takes control giving them access to
> sound.
>
> Is this possible???

I believe it should work like so but there are bound to be people with more
knowledge than me on that one .

--
If Bill Gates had gotten LAID at High School do YOU think there would be a
Microsoft ? Of course NOT !

You gotta spend a lot of time at your school Locker stuffing underware up
your ass to think , I am going to take on the worlds Computer Industry

-------:heard on Cyber Radio.:-------

< Previous Next >