Change from dialup to ADSL
  • From: Constant Brouerius van Nidek <constant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 12:10:07 +0700
Since long I have a home network consisting of two computers connected with a
twisted cable. They have the addresses 192.168.0.1 and 2 and are on eth0.
As I am preparing for an ADSL connection I already have added an other
Ethernet card as eth1and an ADSL 4 port router.
It is not (yet) planned to let the second computer on the Internet.
As I suspect that the fellows who are coming to my place to install the ADSL
are complete ignorants of a system which does not belong to Win***s I want to
be prepared to interfere myself.
The problems lies in the fact that I do not understand a jota about the whole
thing although I have RTFM and more ;-(.

In the eth0 setup I have used the static address setup 192.168.0.1
In the setup for eth1 I have used the automatic address setup (via DHCP)
Right or wrong?

Under Host name and server I have for the moment under hostname the name of
the computer (bigone) and as domain name my home network (constant.net)
The button "Change host name via DHCP" is not in use.
Right or wrong?

Under name server there is the proposed address (I think from the router) of
10.0.0.2. I assume that the technician of the telephone company may have its
own idea of an address. Other name server numbers are empty.
Under domain search I find constant.net and suse.com. What should here be
inserted/changed? The button "Update name servers and search list via DHCP is
in use.

I assume that in Kmail I use the pop and smtp setup as with the dialup.
Right or wrong?

For completeness sake, I am using 9.0 and may switch to the also installed 9.2
or a not yet installed 9.3. I am using KDE as my email client.

< Previous Next >