Change from dialup to ADSL
  • From: Constant Brouerius van Nidek <constant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 12:10:07 +0700
Since long I have a home network consisting of two computers connected with a
twisted cable. They have the addresses and 2 and are on eth0.
As I am preparing for an ADSL connection I already have added an other
Ethernet card as eth1and an ADSL 4 port router.
It is not (yet) planned to let the second computer on the Internet.
As I suspect that the fellows who are coming to my place to install the ADSL
are complete ignorants of a system which does not belong to Win***s I want to
be prepared to interfere myself.
The problems lies in the fact that I do not understand a jota about the whole
thing although I have RTFM and more ;-(.

In the eth0 setup I have used the static address setup
In the setup for eth1 I have used the automatic address setup (via DHCP)
Right or wrong?

Under Host name and server I have for the moment under hostname the name of
the computer (bigone) and as domain name my home network (
The button "Change host name via DHCP" is not in use.
Right or wrong?

Under name server there is the proposed address (I think from the router) of I assume that the technician of the telephone company may have its
own idea of an address. Other name server numbers are empty.
Under domain search I find and What should here be
inserted/changed? The button "Update name servers and search list via DHCP is
in use.

I assume that in Kmail I use the pop and smtp setup as with the dialup.
Right or wrong?

For completeness sake, I am using 9.0 and may switch to the also installed 9.2
or a not yet installed 9.3. I am using KDE as my email client.

< Previous Next >