Why /dev/sda [WAS: can no longer see usb drive]
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 11:28:37 -0400
On 4/30/05, Colin Carter <colincarter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sunday 01 May 2005 01:35, Greg Freemyer wrote:

> Off topic a little, but can you explain the philosophy of SuSE emulating
> SCSI connection? (I assume that that is what they are doing above.)
> This emulation actually prevented me from installing SuSE 9.0 as it
> was reading my DVD drive as IDE until it started to install and then
> it switched to emulating SCSI and then said it couldn't read the same
> drive which it had been reading. Ahhhhh!
> I had to go out and buy 9.1 which (quote SuSE) "fixed that issue".
> I didn't have an issue with the IDE drive being an IDE drive; why
> do SuSE make it an issue? I have been told that SCSI is faster, but
> surely that statement only applies when it is true SCSI and not just
> and *extra* emulation filter/process?
> snip

It is not a SuSE issue, it is a Linux Kernel issue, so all the distros
should behave similarily.

As I understand it, the difference between /dev/hdx and /dev/sdx is
which basic block driver set you use.

The /dev/hdx series is only used by traditional Parrallel ATA (PATA)
drives as far as I know.

In addition to SCSI, all the newer drive technologies (SATA / USB /
Firewire / FC / SAS / iSCSI) are being handled exclusively by the
/dev/sdx block driver.

The sata kernel library (libata) is slowly being enhanced to support
PATA drives, so in a year or two I would expect /dev/hdx to simply go
away for new 2.6 kernels.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer