Re: [SLE] Id "1" respawning too fast
  • From: "Theo v. Werkhoven" <twe-suse.e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 21:12:10 +0200
Mon, 02 May 2005, by kenziem@xxxxxxxxxxxx:

> On May 1, 2005 4:31 pm, Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
> > Sun, 01 May 2005, by kenziem@xxxxxxxxxxxx:
> > > After exiting I get this message and cannot reuse the tty
> > >
> > > INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > >
> > > This is now occurring for 1, 3 and 4.
> > > 2 is where I started X from.
> > > I haven't used up 5 or 6 yet.
> >
> > You borked one or more init scripts
> >
> > > Is there anyway to fix this?
> >
> > Boot from the rescue system and repair whatever is wrong.
>
> I thought that's what I did when I removed the boot.scsidev from the boot
> sequence. Because the initial symptom was a boot failure saying that root
> was already mounted.

Repairing a hosed init is a nightmare, there are just so many
scripts it's the 'Turkisch knot' of dependencies.

> This is a SuSE9.0 system with regular that has apt-get run regularly.
>
> Is there a way to get a listing of applied updates from apt?

No idea. I've had too many cockups with apt when it first appeared
for SuSe. Never again.

> My other thought is to nfs mount a clean SuSE install and try diff
> on /etc/init.d .

Did you try the repair mode in YaST (boot from DVD, choose the
repair sytem option etc)?

Theo
--
Theo v. Werkhoven Registered Linux user# 99872 http://counter.li.org
ICBM 52 13 26N , 4 29 47E. + ICQ: 277217131

< Previous Next >