Re: [SLE] Cups job summary including job-originating-host-name
  • From: Graham Smith <gqs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 07:50:21 +1000
On Tue, 3 May 2005 07:09, Mark Andrews wrote:
> I've configured a SLES server as a CUPS server, installing several
> printers and enabling it as an IPP
> server. Several of my client SuSE workstations have been configured as
> IPP clients. When a job
> is printed from a client system, it is dispatched to the print server
> via IPP and successfully printed.
>
> We wish to employ some sort of billing service by collecting the IPP
> record reports from each
> individual print job.
>
> A list of printed jobs is available using 'lpstat -W completed -u' on
> the client or server, but it
> doesn't include the 'job-originating-host-name' available from the
> kjobviewer gui and encoded
> in the binary files (/var/spool/cups/<job #>) on the print server.
>
> Has anyone written or know of a command which will print the name
> information as
> 'lpstat -W completed', but also include the hostname/IP-addr of the host
> which
> originated the print request, in text?
>
> Thanks

Although this maybe over the top for your requirements it maybe worth looking
at.

PyKota is a complete GPLed Print Quota and Accounting Software Solution for
the Common UNIX Printing System (aka CUPS) and LPR Next Generation (aka
LPRng) on GNU/Linux and Unix-like operating systems, which offers a great
flexibility with regard to the page accounting methods it supports.

http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/PyKota/action_Presentation

Also have a look at CUPS Applications and Tools
http://fritz.potsdam.edu/projects/cupsapps/

--
Regards,

Graham Smith