Playing *.dat files with mplayer or xine
  • From: Chaitanya Krishna A <icymist82@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 14:06:25 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,

I have been trying to play a video file in *.dat
format, whatever the dat extension means.

The file plays well in windows. When i try to play it
using mplayer it gives the following message and
quits.

MPlayer 1.0pre6-3.3.3 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Xeon/Celeron Northwood (Family:
8, Stepping: 4)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1
SSE2: 1
Compiled with runtime CPU detection - WARNING - this
is not optimal!
To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with
--disable-runtime-cpudetection.
Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_irqp_set 1024):
Permission denied
Try adding "echo 1024 >
/proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq" to your system
startup scripts.
Opening joystick device /dev/input/js0
Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0 : No such
device
Can't init input joystick
Setting up LIRC support...
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: Permission denied
Failed to open LIRC support.
You will not be able to use your remote control.
Playing avseq01.dat.
Seek failed
Exiting... (End of file)

I installed Mplayer from Pacman's site using Synaptic.
So I guess there shouldn't be any problems with the
codecs.

Then I tried to play the same file using Xine. This is
one of the messages it gives. I am not putting the
whole lines. I think this is the most relevant one.
It says,

'There is no demuxer plugin available ... means file
format not recognised' I press More on the window and
get this

xine : couldn't find demux for >avseq01.dat<

among other messager.

I say file * on the command line and it gives this:
avseq01.dat: ERROR: cannot read `avseq01.dat'
(Input/output error)

Anyone faced this before. Anyhelp is appreciated.

And one more thing is that I am able to play some wmv
files but not others.

Regards,
Chaitanya.