9.0 pro desktop suddenly says "40 40 40 40"
  • From: David T-G <davidtg-suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 20:27:49 -0400
Hi, all --

I was working on my e-machines celeron tower when things suddenly got
veeerrrrry slooowwwww... I had mouse trails (briefly) but no keyboard
response, and then finally nothing. I did the five-second power key hold
and rebooted ... and it came up "40 40 40 40" all down the screen. I
left it off for an hour or two (though it always runs and never has a
problem) with no change.

I pulled a hard drive and tried again and got "01 01 01" instead. I
started thinking about RAM...

Since then, I have successfully booted from a Linspire CD (Knoppix on
this machine is apparently unhappy; I'll figure that out later), run fsck
on the slices and seen them happy, and even booted from my backup
partition on the second drive. Whew; some things are OK.

Now to get this sent and unhook and see if I can boot from my primary
after all.

But what does "40 40 40" mean, and what caused this?

TIA & HANW

:-D
--
David T-G