No system sounds (was KDM messages)
  • From: Keith Powell <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 14:10:53 +0100
I thought it was better to change the subject!

On Tuesday 03 May 2005 12:31, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> Keith Powell wrote:
> >The only problem I have found since upgrading SUSE9.2 to KDE3.4 is that I
> >have lost the system sounds, but I can play CDs. I am wondering if this is
> > tied up with the ALSA sound error message.
>
> No, it is an arts problem. Try rebuilding the arts src.rpm and install
> the resulting rpms, i.e. rpmbuild --rebuild --target=<your target arch>
> arts*src.rpm (or replace * with full name) as root, the rpms will be in
> /usr/src/packages/RPMS/<your arch>

Sorry, Joe, but I can't get this to work!

If I try reinstalling the original RPM off the 9.2 DVD, to replace the latest
version (which 3.4 needs), it insists on downgrading most of KDE back to 3.3.

Trying your method of rebuilding the arts source from the DVD, tells me it
needs about 30 dependences sorting out. Having spent ages sorting the
dependences, the arts source won't build.

But I may be doing something very wrong with the rebuilding.

I have checked .kde/knotifyrc and that is correct with everything set to
"true".

So I appear to have the choice of either 3.4 and no system sounds, or 3.3 with
system sounds. That is, unless you or anyone else has another suggestion,
please.

Has no-one else had these sound problems upgrading SUSE9.2 to 3.4?

Any further advice will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Keith

< Previous Next >