Re: [SLE] Finaly a Virus or another anomaly, --Kmail hangs on five emails and subsequently quits
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 06:03:16 -0700
Constant,

On Friday 13 May 2005 05:26, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
> Going through my sorted emails from the Suse list the curser hanged
> on an email with the subject line Re[2]: [SLE] Installing on a
> laptop. After approx 5 seconds Kmail quitted. After restart the same
> occurred when I reached this email. After having removed the
> offending email from my Suse folder with midnight commander I
> discovered four other emails with the same effect. They all had a
> cryptographic signature and they all had to do with Sean Rima. I
> still have an email with a strange header -Re: Re[2]: [SLE]
> installing on a laptop- but this email is not a problem. The problem
> seems to be neutralized.

You should give more information about software versions you're running
and something about the hardware configuration you're using.

Those messages are all signed, and back in the SuSE Linux 9.0 days, I
had a problem with certain signed messages with symptoms identical to
yours.

While I never definitively diagnosed the problem (I used a filter to
work around it), I believe it was a library version mismatch between
KMail and a library used only when a signed message arrived.

And it was not all signed messages, only some. Perhaps it was the
particular signing algorithm, I don't know. The problem was eventually
fixed when I upgraded KDE (and KMail along with it).

> This is the first time I have seen this behavior on my Suse box (9.0)
> and I hope it is the last time;-).
> I have the problematic files in a temporary directory. Anybody with
> more grips about emails who want to have a look just tell me and
> they will be expedited.

Have you used the supplementary updates for 9.0 to update your KDE? If
not, you probably should. It will (probably) fix this problem and get
you newer versions of KDE software, which is a good thing.

Randall Schulz

< Previous Next >