Re: [SLE] Gawd awful boot screen
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 11:32:02 -0400
James Knott wrote:

Bruce Marshall wrote:

On Thursday 19 May 2005 10:29 am, James Knott wrote:

I've recently installed SuSE 9.3. One thing I don't like, is that
incredibly ugly, out of focus image that now appears, when the computer
boots. How can I change it to something that's not so bad? I've tried
changing themes, accordiing to the instructions in another thread, but
it only takes effect after login. That image also appears during shut
down.

It never ceases to amaze me how people get so concerned as to what the boot/shutdown screen looks like.... :-)

Don't boot so often... an easy fix.

It's a notebook computer, which does get booted frequently. I normally don't boot my desktop system very often.

Incidentally, it looks like I've found where it's set. There's a file /etc/sysconfig/bootsplash, which specifies where the theme is. It appears under /etc/bootsplash/Themes/SuSE. I'll have to copy that folder over from a 9.2 system.

tnx jk

Hmmm... I've copied the "SuSE" folder from 9.2 to "SuSE_9.2" in /etc/bootsplash/Themes and used the sysconfig editor, to point the bootsplash to that folder, but it still shows the original images.

How does one change the images? Why does the sysconfig editor not appear to make any difference?

I've even tried replacing the SuSE folder, with the 9.2 version. Still no difference.

Why is it so difficult to make such a simple change??? What am I missing?

< Previous Next >