Re: [SLE] xorg.conf and XF86Config get mixed up.
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 00:30:56 -0400
On Friday 27 May 2005 00:17, B. Stia wrote:
> On Thursday 26 May 2005 22:50, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> > Has anyone else had a problem with X getting confused between
> > the /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /etc/X11/XF86Config? I just installed a
> > new NVidia GeForce 6800 GT. The setup was an adventure to say the
> > least. I kept having problems where X would start with one
> > configuration on boot, and another when it was restarted. I finally
> > deleted the /etc/X11/xorg.conf and changed the /etc/X11/XF86Config by
> > hand, to put the correct modeline at the top of the list, and give it
> > the correct DisplaySize values.
> >
> > Anyone else had these problems?
> > --
>
> Steven,
>
> Yes and no. This started to happen when I changed my monitor. On bootup
> some times I get a screen fom the bios that says I did not pass a
> parameter. The booting screen then boots using much larger fonts than
> normally. Once booted it appears ??? to be normal. Not sure but I seem
> to be getting minor different graphical changes.
>
> I do know that the xorg.conf file has not been touched with the monitor
> change.(Still shows the old monitor and dated before the change) The
> XF86Conf. file shows the new settings. The nvidia card settings are
> also different (0X0342 vs. GEForce 5700) I have been told that Yast is
> supposed to write to the xorg file with a link to XF86Conf. This
> apparently is not happening. No idea which config is being called; must
> be XF86.
>
> So maybe the problem is the same?? Don't know. Seems likely, and don't
> know what to do about it.
>
> Bob S.
>
> BTW 9.2 and KDE 3.4

As root, mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf xorg.conf-$(date +%F-%H-%M-%S). don't keep it
in /root as xorg.conf. I can't say what xorg with do with that, but XFree86
will use the XF86Config in the current directory. That can be quite
deceptive. I would suggest also moving the XF86Config out of the way, and
rerunning SaX2. I don't know if it makes a difference whether it's run
through YaST or from the commandline. After you're finished setting it up,
verify what's actually in /etc/X11. I had lots of strange things happening
while I was trying to untangle this mess. It may be worth it to go into the
runlevel tool and set the system to boot into runlevel 3 before you start.
It may be worth rebooting before your run SaX2.
--
Regards,
Steven