Re: [SLE] xorg.conf and XF86Config get mixed up.
  • From: Peter Nikolic <p.nikolic1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 11:51:50 +0100
On Friday 27 May 2005 08:38, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> On Friday 27 May 2005 02:37, Peter Nikolic wrote:

> > > As root, mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf xorg.conf-$(date +%F-%H-%M-%S). don't
> > > keep it in /root as xorg.conf. I can't say what xorg with do with
> > > that, but XFree86 will use the XF86Config in the current directory.
> > > That can be quite deceptive. I would suggest also moving the
> > > XF86Config out of the way, and rerunning SaX2. I don't know if it makes
> > > a difference whether it's run through YaST or from the commandline.
> > > After you're finished setting it up, verify what's actually in
> > > /etc/X11. I had lots of strange things happening while I was trying to
> > > untangle this mess. It may be worth it to go into the runlevel tool and
> > > set the system to boot into runlevel 3 before you start. It may be
> > > worth rebooting before your run SaX2.
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > > Steven
> >
> > Which version it uses ie XF86Config or xorg.conf depends on the version
> > of X you are running if you are running the older version the one with
> > the NON GPL friendly license to it then it uses XF86Config . the newer
> > and friendly version uses xorg.conf and XF86 Config should be a link to
> > xorg.conf
>
> Yes, I did not mention the part about there originally being a symlink.
> But SaX2 did not maintain that symlink. This is my current setup:
> # note there is no xorg.conf
>
> find /etc/X11 -type f -maxdepth 1
> /etc/X11/qtrc
> /etc/X11/Xresources
> /etc/X11/XF86Config
> /etc/X11/qt_gtk_fnt2fntrc
> /etc/X11/XF86Config.YaST2save
> /etc/X11/XF86Config.saxsave
> /etc/X11/Xmodmap.remote
> /etc/X11/qtrc.rpmsave
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-2005-05-26-20-30-19
> /etc/X11/qt_plugins_3.3rc
> /etc/X11/.qt_plugins_3.1rc.lock
> /etc/X11/qtrc-2004-08-27-02-40-19
> /etc/X11/Xmodmap
> /etc/X11/CardModules.addon
> /etc/X11/.qtrc.lock
> /etc/X11/.qt_plugins_3.3rc.lock
> /etc/X11/Xresources.rpmsave
> /etc/X11/.qt_plugins_3.2rc.lock
> /etc/X11/kstylerc
> /etc/X11/.kstylerc.lock
>

> rpm -qa | grep xorg
> xorg-x11-6.8.2-35.1
> xorg-x11-fonts-syriac-6.8.2-35.1
> xorg-x11-fonts-75dpi-6.8.2-35.1
> xorg-x11-Xnest-6.8.2-35.1
> xorg-x11-server-glx-6.8.2-35.1
> xorg-x11-fonts-100dpi-6.8.2-35.1
> xorg-x11-devel-6.8.2-35.1
> xorg-x11-Xvnc-6.8.2-35.1
> xorg-x11-man-6.8.2-35.1
> xorg-x11-Mesa-devel-6.8.2-35.1
> xorg-x11-doc-6.8.2-35.1
> xorg-x11-server-6.8.2-35.1
> xorg-x11-Mesa-6.8.2-35.1
> xorg-x11-Xprt-6.8.2-35.1
> xorg-x11-fonts-scalable-6.8.2-35.1
> xorg-x11-Xvfb-6.8.2-35.1
> xorg-x11-Mesa-devel-static-6.8.2-35.1
> xorg-x11-libs-6.8.2-35.1
> xorg-x11-fonts-cyrillic-6.8.2-35.1
> xorg-x11-driver-options-6.8.2-35.1

> [...]

This is because XF86Config should be an link to xorg.conf and i would seem
sax2 is at fault i do not have any problems like this could it be because i
do not use or trust sax2 it used to frell things up a couple of years ago
since then it just gets ignored , I have an working xorg.conf i keep a copy
of in another location and work from that crafting by hand needed changes
but if you trust sax2 to do the job then you have to accept that it also
frells up your system ..

Cheers Pete .

--
If Bill Gates had gotten LAID at High School do YOU think there would be a
Microsoft ? Of course NOT !

You gotta spend a lot of time at your school Locker stuffing underware up
your ass to think , I am going to take on the worlds Computer Industry

-------:heard on Cyber Radio.:-------