Re: [SLE] Novell reports loss
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 09:26:35 -0700
Basil,

On Saturday 28 May 2005 06:44, Basil Chupin wrote:

> Why don't people try Xandros Deluxe v3.0? Installs like a dream,
> recognises all the hardware, automatically resizes Windows partitions
> during installation, the sound works from the start, installs during
> the installation process the nVidia driver without all the crap about
> proprietary s/ware, and it even runs some M$ software like Photoshop
> and Office because it comes with CrossOver Office. Oh, and when you
> turn off the Screensaver it actually turns off and stays off.

And already behind the times: Kernel 2.6.9, KDE 3.3, OO.o 1.1, X.org
6.7, Java 1.4.2, CrossOver Office 4.1 (which is a 30-day trial only).
Limited s/w: Reiser and Ext3 only, e.g. But what would we expect:
"Based on Debian..."

See
<http://www.xandros.com/products/home/desktopsurf/dsk_surf_details.html>.

Generally speaking, there's no reason to think this distribution is any
more impervious to things breaking (the screen saver, e.g.) as an
individual user starts modifying and extending the configuration. And
for what it's worth, I've not had any problem controlling my screen
saver.

This distribution may be a good choice for some users, but probably not
for those of us for whom SuSE is a good choice.

> Personally I think this is the future desktop OS to replace M$, but
> what do I know.

Only you know what you know.

Randall Schulz

< Previous Next >