Re: [SLE] Novell reports loss
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 16:13:14 -0400
On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 12:53 -0700, OldSarge wrote:
> Alfredo Yunes wrote:
>

> To the List: Actually buying and installing ANY version of Linux is the
> major goal of all on this list, I hope! But, when a distro has problems,
> instead of just bad mouthing it, people should ask for help!! The only
> "bad mouthing" I have, is that the distros come out with new versions
> WITHOUT COMPLETELY CORRECTING the problems with what is already out
> there!!! I am NOT upgrading from 9.2 to 9.3, simply because I have not
> mastered 9.2, which has a great deal to it! I do NOT understand how to
> untar no matter who gives me information on how to, for instance, and
> there are some minor upgrades that are tar that I would like to use and
> can't. So, is that the distro's fault? NO! I think, though, it would be
> nice if some of those who begrudge the neophytes attempts to learn and
> ask, would keep their fingers off the key board unless they have some
> CONSTRUCTIVE words to say!!!!! :-)

What is it about tar that you don't understand?

tar xvf some_tar_file.who_cares_about_the_extension

will extract all of the files from a tar file. If the tar file is
compressed use the appropriate switch:
xzvf - for gzipped tar files
xjvf - for bzipped tar files
xZvf - for compressed tar files

If you only want to look at the contents of the tar file change the x
(eXtract) with a t (for Tally).

It really is quite simple once you know a couple of basics.
If you give me a specific example of a tar file I will give you the
exact tar command.

--
Ken Schneider