Re: [SLE] Novell reports loss
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 16:31:30 -0700
Mark,

On Saturday 28 May 2005 13:51, Mark Crean wrote:
> Randall R Schulz wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > And already behind the times: Kernel 2.6.9, KDE 3.3, OO.o 1.1,
> > X.org 6.7, Java 1.4.2, CrossOver Office 4.1 (which is a 30-day
> > trial only). Limited s/w: Reiser and Ext3 only, e.g. But what would
> > we expect: "Based on Debian..."
>
> [snip]
>
> IME, the vast majority of users neither know nor care whether they
> are up with or behind the times. They just want something that is
> dead easy to install and use, which comes with the right kind of
> software and which works very reliably. Since users like this
> probably won't be running particularly new hardware, older programs
> that go easier on resources can be a plus point. These users exist in
> their countless millions. They simply do not have the money to buy
> new copies of Windows software and fancy new hardware.

The real point of my post was the part you neglected to quote or respond
to:

> This distribution may be a good choice for some users, but probably
> not for those of us for whom SuSE is a good choice.

If you want no muss, no fuss, then maybe one of the laggard
distributions is a better choice. I truly appreciate having available
the myriad improvements that the authors of the software I use are
continually making. I really notice _and miss_ what's absent from my
RedHat Enterprise 3 desktop at work vis a vis SuSE 9.3. KMail has come
quite a long way in the past year or so, e.g.

If users just want a box for email and Web browsing, then any old thing
will do. That's not me and that's not, I think, the users SuSE caters
to.

> A friend of mine who runs an old p2 recently asked me what a
> "computer's bios" was. They had never heard the term and hadn't any
> idea. I guess anyone who wants to produce a pop OS really has to
> start at a level that's this basic. My own money is on Ubuntu, but
> not for a couple of years at a guess.

I'm a professional software developer. I can't live at the end of the
technology spectrum where these people do. It gets pretty hard just
trying to be helpful to them after a while.

On the other hand, I was at a bookstore the other day and the cash
register (the "point-of-sale terminal"), which was Windows-based, was
having problems, possibly hardware-related--it wouldn't acknowledge the
mouse that was plainly there and correctly connected. The person
staffing the register, who identified herself as a nurse (this was the
Stanford medical bookstore, which happens to have a decent IT section,
too) couldn't get the thing through its start-up processing to enable
its function as a cash register. I used the arrow keys to select the
icon she said she needed to click to boot the POS terminal (delicious
double entendre, eh?) and got the thing going. Ignoring one more
diagnostic alert was all that was required, since the mouse was not
used during normal operations.

Now here's the good part: She gave me 10% off my purchase for being a
good samaritan!

> Oh, and "based on Debian" may well be the wave of the future anyway,
> not a putdown. The city of Munich clearly thinks so.

Good for them. Novell's going to have to make a lot of mistakes to drive
me away from SuSE.

> :)
>
> Fish

Randall Schulz