Re: [SLE] Guide on RPM building released
  • From: Colin Carter <colincarter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:53:14 +1000
Thanks Dax, John, Mike...

On Friday 15 April 2005 02:52, Mike McMullin wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 12:29, Dax Kelson wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 12:23 -0400, Mike McMullin wrote:
> > > Dax, about v7.0. when did that actually get released? I've had it
> > > on my system for a couple few weeks at least.
> >
> > v7.0.0-1 was released a few weeks ago and was available if you went
> > directly to the Adobe's ftp server.
>
> Checking my download directory for Adobe, and this is the one that I
> have.
>
> > v7.0.0-2 was released Monday or Tuesday this week and is now advertised
> > on the Adobe website.
>
> I wonder what the difference between the two is.
>
> Mike

I have SuSE 9.1 (only a few months old) and it came with Acrobat 5.0
It cannot read this document.

Yet another upgrade!
I know that it is 'free', but
a lot of upgrades upset other things (I see the trouble and problems
encountered by reading these mailing lists) and it is so much a
reminder of that M$ system which I am trying to get away from.

Sorry to 'divert' a little here, but I really don't think users should have to
monitor software development just to be able to use their systems.
I have forty (yes, 40) years of technical software development, but that
experience just makes me more aware of the whole attitude that software
development is for the developers and not for the users.
Acrobat, like M$, only develop their software so that they can sell more
(i.e. force more upgrades).
Acrobat 5.0 displays crazy hieroglyphics : why can't the code just skip
those control sequences it cannot understand? Sure, the format might be
weird but the text would be readable?
I guess that 'planning for the future' is a bit much to ask of most software
developers!

Anyway, thanks for the feed-back.
I'll set off on the upgrade path and hope that this new Acrobat doesn't
cause me too much trouble.

Regards,
Colin