Re: [SLE] 9.3 Questions
  • From: John Lamb <J.D.Lamb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:08:09 +0100
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D. wrote:
I have just upgraded my linux machines to 9.3 via new installation
and have several questions/problems.

During boot there is a SuSE Norvell banner across the bottom of the
screen that I find rather annoying. Kind of silly, but how do I get
rid of it?

Try
# $man mkinitrd
You can get rid of the splash screen or even make your own one. In 9.1 they're in /etc/bootsplash/themes/SuSE/images; so I imagine they're somewhere similar in 9.3.

I replaced hda with a 120GB HD to have a printine machine for the new
installation, but the installer only found 110.8GB. What happened to
the missing 9.2GB?

Probably not missing. My 80 Gb HD has physically only 76 Gb or so. AFAICT the manufacturers count a Gigabyte as 1000^3 bytes rather than 2^30 bytes; so you lose about 7%. This has been going on for as long as I can remember.

Of a more serious nature is the fact that I have three hard drives on
the tower machine. The fstab shows the following:

/dev/hda2 / reiserfs acl,user_xattr
1 1 /dev/hdb2 /data1 auto noauto,user
0 0 /dev/hdc1 /data2 auto noauto,user
0 0 /dev/hda1 swap swap pri=42
0 0 devpts /dev/pts devpts
mode=0620,gid=5 0 0 proc /proc
proc defaults 0 0 usbfs
/proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0 sysfs
/sys sysfs noauto 0 0 /dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrecorder subfs
noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

When I installed v9.0 the installer found /dev/hdb3 which is
formatted as a reiser file system and a number of vfat partitions
which were also on hdb. Now, I didn't touch either hdb or hdc so how
do I access those drives and partitions?

Mount them. You can mount them temporarily as root with (say)

# mount /dev/hdb3 /mnt

If you want them more permanently, you'll need to create your own mount points (empty directories somewhere in the filesystem) and put suitable entries in /etc/fstab. Generally I make my own entries and more or less copy existing entries, but you may be able to do this within YaST (System > Partitioner?)

--
JDL

< Previous Next >