Re: [SLE] Horrible Upgrade!
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 11:59:15 -0700
Robert,

On Saturday 23 April 2005 11:24, Robert Sweet wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Just thought I would give my upgrade experience. It was
> horrible. The DVD/CD situation is not right. Packages are
> missing on the CD's.

As it has been for at least the last few releases containing both DVD
and CD meida.

> ... If this is the way Novell is
> going to take SuSE....I think my next stop might be Debian.

Good luck with that. I'm sure it's utterly foolproof. At least you won't
have to worry about having the latest versions of anything.

> I have been running SuSe since the 5.x series, and I always
> buy the boxed set. I have upgraded various times, and only
> do clean installs on big changes. This is by far the worst
> update I have done. I am scared now to do an upgrade.

Live and learn. At best. Cautious users don't do upgrades. It's always
more risky than a clean install.

> I almost lost 4 years of mail.

Implying that this mail it is not backed up. As long as that's so, you
can rest assured that eventually you _will_ lose it.

> That would have really made my
> weekend! I was all excited last night when I got my boxed
> set at Fry's Electronics...yeah...upgrade
> time...new..new..new....BOOM!
>
> Here is more broken stuff...I did the Multimedia update...NO MP3 now,

You're really not paying attention, either here on the list or to the
updates offered during the installation process.

> also USB is not working...I have a DVD/CDRW that I bought
> for my server, which worked under 9.2, now USB keyboard and
> mouse don't work, along with Sony USB DVD/CDRW. Very
> disappointed. Novell better let the folks from Germany do
> the work. Becuase 9.3 has some issues. Hope this doesn't
> sound too incoherent...rather frustrated and tired. Need
> some more coffee.

I don't believe there have been any large-scale staffing changes. Novell
bought the company, they didn't replace the personnel.

> --
> .~. |
> /V\ | Robert Sweet
> // \\ | Systems Administration and Installation
> /( )\ | www.garagenetworks.net
> ^^-^^ | 714.596.5504 Cel. 714.728.0014
> Linux |

Do I take it you're paid to do system administration? If so, you really
should know better. You especially ought to know enough to keep backups
of any critical data...

Randall Schulz