Re: [SLE] OpenOffice 2.0 (was FireFox broken, is SuSE Pro becoming a test bed like Fedora?)
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:38:07 +0100
On 4/27/05, Joe Morris (NTM) <Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jack Brooks wrote:
> >On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 12:10 -0700, Preston Crawford wrote:
> >
> >>Especially with regards to problems with
> >>OpenOffice 2.0 (which last I heard is still beta). Putting major versions
> >>of software like this into the distro when their beta seems like a bad
> >>idea. And people are having problems with it.
> >>

> >I wanted to point out that, while OOo 2.0 is beta, you can easily
> >download the latest batch of rpms
> i.e. development versions
> >from the website and install with your
> >tool of choice. They even have specific rpms for suse, redhat,
> >mandrake, and freedesktop menus (although you do have to delete the
> >redhat and mandrake rpms in order to install). The latest release,
> >build .95 is really pretty solid for all the basic functions in writer.
> >I use it for school constantly.
> I would concur, using 1.9.95 here in 9.2 presently, and it is working
> pretty good for my purposes.
> --
> Joe Morris
> New Tribes Mission
> Email Address: Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx
> Registered Linux user 231871
>

> --

The main point is that a beta version should not have been included in
SuSE 9.3 SuSE Linux has a known reputation for only including stable
versions of software. Gnome 2.8 (please correct me if I have the
version wrong) was not included in SuSE 9.2 because it was not in a
stable release when 9.2 was officailly released. So why do it with
OOo as good as the software is. Sorry but I feel this is a slippery
slope.

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer