Re: [SLE] FireFox broken, is SuSE Pro becoming a test bed like Fedora?
  • From: Preston Crawford <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:12:40 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Ken Schneider wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 14:48 -0700, Preston Crawford wrote:
> >
> > I started this thread initially to ask if others were experiencing this
> > problem with Firefox and if it was fixable. I made the mistake of also
> > positing that this was part of a larger trend, which in turn caused people
> > to turn the flamethrowers on. I apologize for that. But I still don't get
> > the response.
> >
> > Preston
> >
> Regarding the problem with Firefox and other packages after the update
> using YOU...
>
> <opinion>
> It may be that SuSE/Novell is going to push the NLD platform for
> stability and start making SuSE pro more of a test bed product and make
> it more bleeding edge. This will certainly piss off a few people myself
> included as I have to rely on the stability of SuSE linux not only at
> home but also in the workplace before I retired.

This was certainly tossed out there before by SuSE. I'm sure everyone
remembers the interview where SuSE Linux Pro was compared to Fedora and
thus the implication that perhaps it would be a test bed for NL Desktop
and Server. I hope that doesn't happen either and that's been the nature
of my concern about the recent stability problems I've seen in SuSE.

> I have noticed more frequent updates of late and was floored with the
> upgrade of Firefox to 1.0.3 from 1.0.1. I have never before seen a
> product version upgrade like this on SuSE before. The package had the
> security fixes back ported to the currently running version. I may be
> way off here but that is how I see it.
> </opinion>

We may be the only ones on the mailing list, but that's how I see it as
well. That's been a hallmark of SuSE for years. That rather than releasing
new versions of software they backport bug fixes to the current version.
The release of Firefox feels like they just tossed the RPM into YOU. I
could have done that myself. I pay SuSE so they make it so I don't have to
do that. That's the way it's been for quite a while. I agree. I hope this
is just a blip.

Preston