Re: [SLE] Maximum swap size
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 19:33:48 +0100 (CET)

The Monday 2005-03-07 at 09:31 -0500, James Knott wrote:

> One situation I was wondering about, was if you had a huge data file. Might it
> be easier to load the entire file into memory (real & virtual) and process it
> there, than by reading & writing blocks of the file as necessary?

Easier for the programmer, perhaps - provided he uses, while developing,
a big enough computer or small enough test file :-p

nmap() is used, I understand, for just that, copying the file into memory
and working with it. As I'm not a linux programmer, I don't know if big
files are loaded in full. I have read its man page, but I'm no wiser.

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson

< Previous Next >