Re: [SLE] NICs changing names by themselves?
  • From: "Jeffrey L. Taylor" <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:40:07 -0600
Quoting Anders Norrbring <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Nope, sorry that I didn't make it clear. The config that has
> PERSISTENT_NAME='eth0' is labelled eth1 and vice versa.
>
> Alas, just the opposite of what I want.

RTFM - from section 22.3:

* Persistent interface names can be assigned to all interfaces whose
configurations do not bear the interface names. This can be done
by means of entries PERSISTENT_NAME=<pname> names in an interface
configuration (ifcfg-*). However, the persistent name pname should
not be the same as the name that would automatically be assigned
by the kernel. Therefore, eth*, tr*, wlan*, qeth*, iucv*, and so
on are not permitted. Instead, use net* or descriptive names like
external, internal, or dmz. A persistent name can only be assigned
to an interface immediately after its registration, which means
that the driver of the network card must be reloaded or
hwup <device description> must be executed. The command
rcnetwork restart is not sufficient for this purpose.

You cannot use eth0 and eth1 for persistent names ;P

Try net0 and net1.

Jeffrey