Hostname (was Re: [SLE] NICs changing names by themselves?)
  • From: Richard Bos <radoeka@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:55:58 +0100
Op maandag 14 maart 2005 16:53, schreef Anders Norrbring:
> I found PERSISTENT_NAME, and as I understand, I should add a line in the
> /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth-id-...... files to control the device
> name. So, of course I tried, but the names after reboot was just the
> opposite of what I had entered.
>
> Anders.

Related to this; if one configures the 2 nics with yast , the latter insist
(in my case at least) on having a hostname, name server, domain, etc for both
nics (this is with 2 fixed ip addresses).

Isn't that strange? Should the name for the nics not be different for each
one. For eth0 e.g. linux and for the other nic (eth1) e.g.; linux-eth1?

And wouldn't it be sufficient if one of the nics carried the name server(s),
search domain and domain instead of having both cards carry that information?

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless