Re: [SLE] PC Crash: Hard Disk Problems
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:35:01 -0500
Danny Sauer wrote:
On Sunday 20 March 2005 06:49 am, Kevanf1 wrote:

Here in the UK
most places - I have them fitted at home - are now geared up with
micro residual current circuit breakers too which trip out at the
slightest hint of a short. It probably wouldn't save equipment but it
would save your life from an electric shock.

Those are called GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) outlets in the USA, and are typically only installed near water (in the kitchen and bathroom), as they cost about $7 instead of $0.50 for regular outlets. Many (most?) new houses are built as cheaply as possible over here. :(

They're also used for outside circuits and anywhere else water may be present. As I recall, they can also be used to replace the old two pin outlets, to get around the lack of a ground wire, in older installations.

< Previous Next >